Thursday 1 November 2007

Vietnam, HoiAn

8pm on the 30th of October. We're on the SE1 train to Danang. The train ride which should take us 14 hours to Danang from where we'll take a car and head to HoiAn. After 3 weeks wandering the bustling streets of Hanoi we've decided to spend a week in the center of the country before heading to Laos through Lao Bao.

We left Hanoi on time, sharing a cabin with 2 Irish young men, beer was the drink on board. I've directly put my earphones and started remembering the beautiful moments we've had so far.
The train ride was smooth and around 11pm, I woke up and needed to walk a little. Outside, everything was quite, the train stopped every 15 minutes at security checks and it felt mindblowing to stand on the window, head outside and feeling the wind hitting my face. I saw workers, farmers, checkpoint guards, children outside their homes riding their bikes (yes at 11pm!). In the distance I could see the little lights in the houses, I imagined the conic hats on the floor and the entire family, and neighbors sometimes, sitting together around the only TV they have. I wish I could freeze time and stay aboard that train forever.


The next morning (yes I got a few hours sleep), we passed beautiful sceneries along the beach and on top of hills, the views were incredible and to see this old and long train curving along the rails right at the hill's angle-top was a bit worrying.

HoiAn under the pouring rain in the middle of the storm, walking on the inundated streets. We rented bikes and discovered the city and its neighborhoods.

30 minutes by bike to reach the beach which was really wild under the rain.






We stayed at the HaAn Hotel a little off the tourist center close to the market. The place was like a dream, a beautiful house with a courtyard and all the rooms surrounding the entrance and the greenery. The food was delicious and the service impeccable. We really recommend this place.

No comments: